Parents and carers can express a preference for a specific school to be named within a child or young person's Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). The Local Authority has a duty to name this choice unless:
- It would be unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or SEN of the child or young person, or
- The attendance of the child or young person there would be incompatible with the efficient education of others, or the efficient use of resources (In this case, ‘others’ is intended to mean the children and young people with whom the child or young person with an EHC plan will directly come into contact on a regular day-to-day basis).
Efficient education means providing each child or young person with:
- A suitable and appropriate education in terms of their age, ability, aptitude
- Provision for any special educational needs they may have.
Only children and young people with complex needs which cannot be met within mainstream would require a specialist setting.
Therefore, to be considered for a specialist setting a child or young person will need to have an Education, Health and Care Plan where the setting would be named in Section I.
The SEN Code of Practice 2014 section 9.80 outlines when a Local Authority would name a specialist setting:
The local authority must consult the governing body, principal or proprietor of the school or college concerned and consider their comments very carefully before deciding whether to name it in the child or young person’s EHC plan, sending the school or college a copy of the draft plan. If another local authority maintains the school, they too must be consulted.
For more information, please email the Coventry City Council SEN Team
Prospective Pupil Admissions
School Tours - New starters September 2023
We would like to invite prospective parents to attend a tour of our school which will provide families with the opportunity to view Castle Wood, learn more about our school curriculum and what we can offer.
Dates for school visits are:
- Monday 28th February at 3:30pm
- Monday 28th February at 4:00pm
Please ring the school office on 024 76709060 or email email@example.com to book a place on one of the above dates.
Priority will be given to parents who have children that are due to start reception in September 2023.
Castle Wood has no influence on decision regarding admissions. Information below is taken directly from Coventry City Council's Local Offer and can be accessed at https://www.coventry.gov.uk/directory-record/42413/special-schools
All enquiries for admissions to special schools can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org